Bürgen Gluten Free Apple Pies
12 slices Bürgen Gluten Free Splendid Sunflower & Chia Bread
3 tbsp water
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
a pinch of vanilla
1 whole star anise (optional)
a squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
To brush and sprinkle:
brown sugar (optional)
- Peel, core and chop the apples into small chunks.
- In a pot or saucepan, mix water, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, star anise and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until it thickens up.
- Add apples, toss to coat and set aside.
- Press a small bowl or large cookie cutter into each slice of bread to create a circle then flatten each slice with a rolling pin.
- Spread half the slices of Bürgen Gluten Free Splendid Sunflower & Chia Bread across the kitchen bench and place approx. 1 heaped tbsp of the apple filling in the centre of each.
- Place the remaining slices on top, then crimp edges with a fork to seal.
- Brush the top of each pie with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar if desired.
- Bake for approx. 20 minutes at 180 degrees, until golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving,
- Enjoy as they are or drizzle in your favourite sauce (we recommend caramel). Tuck in!